Central Scouting S11 Mock Draft

Central Scouting Reports
CentralScouting
Novice

Central Scouting S11 Mock Draft

Post by CentralScouting » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:31 pm

1.1 - Stroud selects D Brennen McCulley
There's not much to say about Stroud after a dismal (and that is an understatement) inaugural season. They need everything, and to make matters worse, last year's #1 overall pick Daryl Gross is not developing as well as expected. McCulley is a slick skater with great hands, rarely takes penalties, and can log tons of ice time. His defensive zone awareness and physicality, however, are question marks. The Lions might be better off taking a gamble on a high-risk, franchise player type like Zackary Astley, Nathen Wolski or Arthur Ailsby, but they'll stick with the safe pick.

1.2 - Pembroke selects D Tyler Korpikoski
Everyone knows the Chargers traded up to this spot to take a defenseman, the question now is who they take. They made the move to try to get a real blue-chip prospect, and are very interested in Zackary Astley, but ultimately settle on Korpikoski. Korpikoski has better vision and is a safer pick, and he played growing up in Finland with current Charger d-man Leroy Siltanen.

1.3 - Montreal selects LW Arthur Ailsby
The expansion team has a good foundation with players like Filip Oliver and Brent Raby and talent young players like Carlos Hainsey, Darien Marttinen, Blaine Middendorf and last year's #2 overall pick, goalie Marshall Quint. They need some work yet, but as far as prospects go, it's up front that they have their biggest weakness. Ailsby has the potential to be a star and could even play pro this year if the GoodFellas want him to. Ailsby plays like a power forward, although his size prohibits him from bring a true PF. He has slick hands, a great shot, and the ability to get involved physically as well.

1.4 - Moose Jaw selects D Zackary Astley
The Bucs have a lot of good young talent in the pros, but not a whole lot in the minors. They good go anywhere here, and while it might be better to go with a safer pick to ensure they get someone that can contribute, there's no denying Astley's potential. The numbers he put up in juniors are staggering. He's 6'3, weighs 205, and yet moves like the wind, but he's not afraid to hit either.

1.5 - North Bay selects D Kelvin Helminen
As far as prospects go, their defense core needs replenishing, and this is a good draft for that. Helminen is already pro ready, but he won't need to be rushed in North Bay. Helminen's a smart player with a good first pass, he doesn't get tired, and he's got a hard slap shot - with some work on his accuracy, he could be a good PP quarterback, but that's not to say he can't play defense either.

1.6 - Mount Pearl selects LW Jaeden Bylsma
LW is a need position for the Rock, who will lose Philip Ahier after this season (he's said he doesn't want to return) and only have recently acquired Tate Stone in the system as far as future pro prospects go. While Stone does have potential, if he falters in his development, the Rock would be better off to not get caught with out a backup plan. Bylsma can fly on the ice, he's not afraid to hit, and he has some offensive flair too - another season with Windsor could help him develop that offense further, but he's certainly good enough for the farm if the Rock want to go that route, and might even be pro ready.

1.7 - Moose Jaw selects RW Randall Klukay
It's safe to expect the Bucs to select the BPA again, but there's no consensus as to who that really is at this point. Taking a defenseman at 1.4 and 1.7 isn't really what they want to do, so they'll probably look for a forward at this point. Klukay's got all of the tools to be a very good player at the next level, even if they're a little raw at this point. With a bit of seasoning in the farm, he definitely has the ability to make an impact.

1.8 - London selects D Layne Charlebois
The defense in London is much improved from last year, but you can never have too many good defenseman prospects, and with Frank Vigneault getting up there in age, the Bulls take a guy that they can groom to be his replacement. Charlebois loves to hit, makes good passes, and is a pretty quick skater; he's able to play sound two-way hockey from the back end and does it without taking very many penalties. A very good all-around defenseman, the fact that a prospect like Charlebois might be around at #8 speaks to the depth of this draft class, at least at the top.

1.9 - Moose Jaw selects G Jarred Vyborny
Jahiem Reinikka is the best young goalie the Bucs have right now, which can't be a good sign. Jaxson Lecouffe has a lot of hockey left in him yet, and Andy Chamberland is a capable back-up for now, but the Bucs do need a young goalie, and Vyborny is a very good one.

1.10 - Saskatoon selects D Eugene Byers
The Specters really don't need anything, especially considering they just went 60-0-2 (including playoffs) in S10. Byers is a good two-way defenseman, with the ability to make a good lead pass, he's also a physical player and has an active stick, which he's very good at forcing turnovers with. Durability and skating are his main concerns, but the Specters have a way of developing players that usually can take care of just about any flaw.

1.11 - Moose Jaw selects C Kobe Quintin
Questions abound about Quintin's offensive game, but at the same time, it's very good for a centre that provides the sandpaper that Quintin brings to the game, and it's for that reason that he's expected by many to go in the first round. Not only is Quintin a gritty, hard-working player, but he knows how to play on the edge without finding himself in the sin bin unnecessarily. If he DOES find an offensive game at the next level, that's a bonus.

1.12 - Parry Sound selects D Josef Mokosak
The depth of the Parry Sound prospect system is incredible, which speaks volumes about the team's drafting over the years. That means they could go anywhere, but defensemen tend to be more valuable than forwards and they certainly don't need to look at taking a goalie. Mokosak is a terrific offensive defenseman/PP quarterback, with a hard shot, plenty of speed and great playmaking ability, and his defensive game has improved significantly in the past year.

1.13 - Halifax selects C Reuben Tambellini
The Hooligans, under their new management, have developed a reputation for solid drafting. Their scouting staff uncovered Jonas Thelen when they went off the board at #3 in the S8 Entry Draft. But Tambellini falls right into their lap here. His offensive game is raw, but there's no question it's there when you consider his production this year with Owen Sound. Another positive with Tambellini is that he rarely spends time in the box.

1.14 - Saskatoon selects D Kody Cox
Kody Cox probably will not stick around to #14 tomorrow night, but if he does, the Specters will likely be glad to have him. Cox is raw, but his developmental curve last season was huge and if he keeps it up, it won't take him long to make an impact in the pros - even with a team as dominant as Saskatoon. Not only is he gifted offensively, he's learning to play more physical - and that's bad news for opponents hoping to avoid his 6-foot-5, 211 pound frame.
Last edited by CentralScouting on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvbenfica
Pro

Re: Central Scouting S11 Mock Draft

Post by mvbenfica » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 pm

CentralScouting wrote:1.6 - Mount Pearl selects LW Jaeden Bylsma
LW is a need position for the Rock, who will lose Philip Ahier after this season (he's said he doesn't want to return) and only have recently acquired Tate Stone in the system as far as future pro prospects go. While Stone does have potential, if he falters in his development, the Rock would be better off to not get caught with out a backup plan. Bylsma can fly on the ice, he's not afraid to hit, and he has some offensive flair too - another season with Windsor could help him develop that offense further, but he's certainly good enough for the farm if the Rock want to go that route, and might even be pro ready..
funny enough CentralScouting is right MPR does need more depth in the LW position, hence my drafted what CentralScouting suggested Jaeden Bylsma. So his mock draft was right for me at least.
Marco - Mount Pearl GM

ChargersGM
All-Star

Post by ChargersGM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Bylsma is pretty awesome. And the 389 checks in 38 games he put up is insane. I think you got a good one; I may have taken him #2 if I didn't need some D prospects.
RIP #28 Luc Bourdon (1987-2008)

The Canadian Code: "They're not dents, they're goals."

Maxim Afinogenov once scored 17 goals in a 16-13 game (true story)

David
Pro

Post by David » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 am

yeah, Trevor I was still a bit surprised you picked Layne Charlebois 2nd overall. He's very good, but if that was your plan, couldn't you of traded down like 3 spots, and get like an additional 2-3 picks, possibly this draft? hehe but then again, he was close to the top, so I'm guessing you wanted to guarantee him. :P

I do think that pick though, changed each prediction for the first round, as at least the top 7 or so, got bumped down one (shocked I pulled Astley 5th overall, as even though he lost 2 stats, his rerate was still an increase, and those 2 stats are right at 6).

Good pick up for Stroud, getting Nathen Wolski beginning of 2nd round. Stroud's gonna be an interesting team to watch this season (especially with all there marquees now).
GM: Calgary Storm, TJHL

ChargersGM
All-Star

Post by ChargersGM » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 am

heh I was initially planning to guarantee one of the top three defensemen, and then when I was trying to decide between Korpikoski and Astley, I stumbled upon Charlebois ... realized after I traded for #2 that I could've gotten away with trading to #4 or #5 and still ended up with someone good ... but I decided to just stick with #2 and didn't really make my decision until shortly before the draft that I was going to take Charlebois over Korpikoski
RIP #28 Luc Bourdon (1987-2008)

The Canadian Code: "They're not dents, they're goals."

Maxim Afinogenov once scored 17 goals in a 16-13 game (true story)

David
Pro

Post by David » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:50 am

ahhhh kk that makes sense, yeah it's those split-second decisions right before a pick, that can change the future of not just your team, but every team after it...
GM: Calgary Storm, TJHL

JonL
All-Star

Post by JonL » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:42 am

CSS, CSN, and TJHL had Charlebois at 6 I think.