Old APBA league looking for new sim

This is the place to ask questions or talk about UHS.
donpaulo
Novice

Old APBA league looking for new sim

Post by donpaulo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:26 am

Greetings hockey sim fans, I am a newbie here on the forums but have been enjoying sim hockey online about 20 years and was a Stratomatic fan for years before that. I am really excited to take a closer look at UHS.

We are a 20+ team APBA league simming for 15 years now. Over the past few seasons the APBA community has rated our own disk and put out a very good set of disks IMHO. The league is as strong as ever but the sim itself is dated and starting to show its age. We are now in the process of trying to narrow down our choices of sim software.

I have some questions about moving our league over to the UHS platform, that I hope someone can answer.

One of the great things about APBA is that its abandonware and thus free to play. The manager app is really simple so Gms simply download the league files, open the roster app, adjust available players, lines, forechecking etc then send a 1K file to our central sim guy who runs all the games on a nightly basis.

Does UHS have a separate roster management tool or must every team purchase the software in order to participate ?

How are the players rated ? Is it community based or does it comes from a central source ?

Have you been happy with the ratings in the recent product ?

Do you use real NHL player names ?

Thanks so much everyone !

DP

Stone
UHS Admin

Re: Old APBA league looking for new sim

Post by Stone » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 am

Does UHS have a separate roster management tool or must every team purchase the software in order to participate ?
Everything is managed through the website. There is no fee for base usage, however, for Premium there is a $2.99 CAD / month fee that only one member needs to pay to unlock it for the entire league. Premium has more quality of life features and are not really required in order to use UHS overall. You can find more info here: Image
How are the players rated ? Is it community based or does it comes from a central source ?
It's just me. I would love for someone else to take this off my hands. I used to convert ratings from a set of updated NHL09 rosters, however, I recently started doing my own ratings and NHL player movements using CapFriendly.com.
Have you been happy with the ratings in the recent product ?
I would love to think they're fairly accurate, however, I don't know every single player so have to make some estimates based on stats production, age, height & weight. Again, if there is someone that could do unbiased ratings for us, I'd be eternally grateful.
Do you use real NHL player names ?
Most definitely.

donpaulo
Novice

Post by donpaulo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 am

1) How is the technical support / customer service for this product?
It's just me. This is a hobby site, so response time depends on what I'm doing at that time.
2) How current is the most recent release?
As there is nothing to download there are no different versions floating around. Our latest build was released this past month. I am to get a build released maybe every one or two months, again it depends on what's happening. A full list of build release notes is here: http://uhs.hockeysim.ca/index.php?L=BuildHistory.
3) Are we able to personalize the league with our team names, GM names, Rink names, colors, etc?
You can personalize your league name, all team names and arena names. Premium leagues are able to upload a League Logo and Logos for all teams. There's not really a need for "colours" overall as there are no EA Sports style games simmed. There is a play-by-play that will show "live" games, however, nothing really shown on screen.
4) Does it provide for deep prospect lists? Is that done via additional available "lower leagues" - (AHL, OHL, WHL, Europe, etc...)? OR is there simply a basic option to list prospects owned somehow?
UHS basically has three levels of play: Pro, Farm, Junior. All three are customizable and can play out schedules.
5) Does it provide for basic components of the CCHL? UFA bidding period, annual entry draft, etc...?
Yep, you can do an Entry Draft, Free Agency, etc. There's an inaugural season walk-through available here: http://wiki.hockeysim.ca/index.php?titl ... lk-through
6) Does the product feed all of its rosters, team info, game results, financials, drafts, Free Agency, playoffs, etc. into a user-friendly website?
User-friendly is subjective. The public sites are all responsive (meaning they can be used on any device). You can see the default league (TJHL) at http://uhs.hockeysim.ca/PubSite/index.php. The regular UHS site is best used on a desktop computer, although we have plans to update everything to be responsive, that will take a while.
7) What are the "back-up" provisions to protect the details and history of the CCHL, should this provider go missing all of a sudden?
Overall, we have weekly backups, however, if I decide to go missing all of a sudden or die, I have instructions in my will for the site to pass on to my wife and my friend. You will be able to get your data from a sql file. If I decided to say screw it all and just delete everything there is not much you could do to recover that information. Not sure why I would, but hey... you asked, I answered.
8) What operating systems is it compatible with?
You need internet access. You need a device that connect to the website. That's it. Nothing to download.
9) Would the Commish's have controls over what player editing abilities the individual owners have access to?
GMs do not have access to edit players. Only the League Commissioner / Owner does. GMs do have an option to train players, which is customizable by the COM.
10) In your opinion, what are the top pros/cons about this product?
Pros - Lots of options and settings; evolved this from HLS2 & FHLSim; Don't need to download anything to use it; Always looking at adding more features (go look at our stickied posts in the Development forums); There's a fairly robust AutoGM if you are Premium.

Cons - Takes a bit getting used to compared to sims like EHM (we have a wiki to try to help with this but a full-fledged user guide is not there), however, most things should be easy to use; HIGHLY recommend creating a test league to monkey around a bit to see if this is for you; If you're looking for immediate support for a question (like 5 minutes or something) that will probably not happen (again, one guy here with some folks that help out with questions on discord); importing data from other leagues doesn't happen (not really on my list of things to do, either.... more focused on improving the system overall).

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend making a free league to play around with and read the Wiki.

Stone
UHS Admin

Post by Stone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:09 pm

ahhhh.... whoops. LOL I accidentally edited your question post with my responses. I think that is literally the first time I've done that in the 13-14 years that I've been using phpBB. Good Lord... /facepalm

donpaulo
Novice

Post by donpaulo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Thanks Stone, I shared your post with our "brain trust".

Your candor is very much appreciated